Thursday, November 17, 2011

Post from Crystal

This group of Springfield youth focuses on performance art and using it to
speak out to their community about their lives and beliefs. They use poetry,
playwriting, music, improv, and other various forms of art to communicate their
ideas about the world.

Here is a poem by one of the members of First Generation. Think about the
message. Do you relate to the poem? Why, or why not? What do you like or
dislike about the poem? Does it make you think of anything we’ve talked about
in GirlsEyeView? Comment with your responses!

Untitled

Take a look at my life
I might be different from you
But I still live the same everyday life that you do
I too was born with the need for connection
It’s so hard
When I was a baby everybody wanted to hold me
Now they say I am a danger to society
I’m no different        I’m just like you
I bet we feel the same pain
Been through the same struggles
Struggle from bondage
Struggle to break through
Lost of connection
Looking for our roots
And reaching for the truth
Let me ask you a question
Do you have a dream?
Well I do….
I sit back        close my eyes         paint a picture in my mind
Time after time
© Copyright 2010 by Shareef Ibrahim

No comments:

Post a Comment